Saturday, November 27, 2010

Dysphoria

I've been a lil too emotional lately and I suspect it's due to PMS.
2 days ago, I helped this middle aged man to locate a patient.
This man, he works as a cleaner. He is sorta limping and doesn't have much strength.
The patient that he wanted to visit was merely someone whom he saw everyday and says hi to. Ya know, when people visits a patient, they would usually buy bouquet of flowers, balloon, chicken essence, bird nest etc.. but he bought the patient something so common, something which we drink everyday and takes it for granted - Milo.
Who the hell in the world would have appreciated Milo in normal circumstances?
Who would be thankful if they received a tin of milo and condensed milk as a get-well gift?
I would.
Because it's the thought that counts.
This old man here, he has so little yet he is willing to give so much.
He doesn't earn much but he managed to get something so practical yet thoughtful for his acquaintance.
The whole point of why I feel so strongly is because the value of a gift isn't determined by the price tag. It's the thought, the appreciation which you would feel when you know you actually matter.
Bad thing is, I can't find the patient even though I brought him up to the ward..
BUT he felt bad for holding me up cos' it was my lunch time.
He got me some puffs from the bakery shop near by.
I nearly wanted to cry.
This old man, he appreciated my act of kindness which I'm paid to do so.
I didn't helped him on accord of my true altruism. I did it because I was obliged to do so but he didn't see all these. He didn't see that this act of kindness was flawed.
He was glad, thankful that I helped even though I failed.
Normal (yes , I mean normal, angry, agitated) visitors would have cursed and swore at me by then but he didn't.


p/s: She is everything that you dreamed of.
Yes, she is EVERYTHING.
But what am I? Have you ever thought of what I am?
Am I really nothing at all?

No comments:

Post a Comment